Friday, August 6, 2010

Optimal Path for Monkey IslandTM

You may or may not be aware that LucasArts has recently re-released the first two episodes in the Monkey IslandTM series. The special editions are complete renovations of the originals, with new graphics and voice-overs, but are otherwise identical. You can even switch back and forth between the original graphics and the new ones at any time with a single key-press, and it is absolutely seamless.

If you have enjoyed the series in the past, you would definitely enjoy the refreshed version. The graphics are smooth, and the experience is like what you remember. If you have never played, or heard of Monkey IslandTM, then shame on you. Get the special edition and play through it with the old graphics first.

One new thing that was added to Monkey IslandTM 2 was a set of Steam achievements. One of the harder ones to get is to complete the game in under three hours. I did not make it really even close on my first play-through, because I was trying to enjoy the game. Now, though, it's business time. This game is really quite large. There is a good deal of sailing from island to island, and the nerdmonger in me is constantly asking me to figure out a way to minimize all that.

Sure, I could easily do it all from memory in under 3 hours now, but that's no fun. I have enough deep cs background that I should be able to solve a simple problem like this fairly easily, shouldn't I? Is it harder than I thought? Its just a traveling salesman problem, isn't it?

Here's a teaser - A graph of all necessary objectives to complete Chapter One: The Largo Embargo:

Locations are not shown there, but I am trying to complete all objectives while minimizing time spent walking.

Stay tuned for the thrilling continuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment